Tuesday

ABSCOND: Word of the #3 Day - October 28, 2005

Abscond (v.)

Pronunciation: [æb-'skahnd]

Definition: To leave surreptitiously to avoid prosecution, persecution, or some similar unpleasantry.

From the Latin abscondere ("to hide") from the roots ab "away" and condere "to put."

Paul, I considered your thought: leaving the roots of the words to the greater glory of the readers. I think we can trust the viewer's of this site to eschew usage of the internet in puzzling over the words. I'll start it next week, rules and all. It might be fun (and unifying) to have some sort of contest. I could mail out prizes! I'll look into it.

Incidentally (and I can explain why it is of incident), I would like to talk about interesting grammatical and literary points on this journal. I'm expanding my domain! Not on the internet, of course, but proverbially. I'm really getting carried away with this blogging (note: I've decided that Paul is right about the blog/journal thing; sorry, Alyssa. Blogs may only be personal web logs, I've looked into it. They need not pertain to social or political commentary - I do, however, really like the word "journal").

Oh, and why it is incidentally (because I rarely use words without having a precise meaning behind them; it's just a hound on my trail, a monkey on my back) - I was wondering about the difference between "into" and "in to." "In to" is used when the "to" is part of an infinitive phrase. "He looked in to see if Paul was there." "Into" is a preposition modifying action: "He walked into the house," "He looked into her soul."

You'll never read these again, will you? My speech is filled with bombastic orotundity and repetitious, reiterative redundancy. Gee, I wonder what the meaning of the root "re" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment